Join Our Team
We are hiring! RFRS Deputy Program Director
Apply to help lead RFRS in connecting eaters to local food changemakers through authentic storytelling that humanizes the food system and inspires positive cultural and social change.
About Real Food Real Stories:
Real Food Real Stories (RFRS), a project of Earth Island Institute, is a startup non-profit entering its third year. We seek to transform regional food systems by shifting culture between eaters and the food industry towards trust, relationship and collaboration through powerful storytelling, transformative experiences and community building. We address the entire food chain, coaching and making available stories that inspire action. Our work is values-driven and relationship-centric, ranging from:
- 1:1 storytelling coaching,
- public and private live-storytelling gatherings,
- digital storytelling,
- storytelling workshops, and
ongoing support for our storytellers,
About the Position:
RFRS is looking for a dynamic & thoughtful collaborator who is passionate about igniting cultural change in the food system and helping lead the organization to a new phase of growth and service. The Deputy Project Director (DPD) will oversee: Organizational Strategy and Implementation, Business Development, Fundraising and Corporate Sponsorship. The DPD will work closely with the Founder/Project Director, whose focus will be on overall creative direction for the organization, act as lead facilitator for storytelling, key partnerships, and public facing engagements.
The ideal candidate is deeply aligned with RFRS’ mission, steadfast, and can leverage past experience to help build a viable organization in a fast changing environment. They enjoy juggling very different projects, and many other areas needed by a growing new organization, and at times rolling up their sleeves to get the work done. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial professional looking to apply skills in a highly collaborative, mission-driven environment to create meaningful culture shift for the food system and organizational legacy.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- 50% Development: business development, fundraising, donor relations, grant writing, corporate sponsorships, etc.
- 25% Organizational Strategy: Lead strategic planning and implementation, build opportunities for organizational growth.
- 15% Operations: Direct, implement, review and evaluate operations for a young, growing organization for maximum effectiveness. Program assessment and impact measure, ongoing & annual budget management, accounting, reporting etc., often in partnership with Earth Island Institute.
- 10% Full participation in RFRS storytelling gatherings.
- Experience in a relevant field and committed to a healthy, connected and just food system
- Experience in development, include working with individual donors and foundations, grant-writing, and fundraising activities
- Ability to lead mission-aligned business development and secure corporate or private sponsorship
- Experience in financial planning, reporting and budget oversight
- Effective at leading collaborative, decision-making processes
- Empowering leadership to keep staff and volunteers on track
- Ability to be vulnerable & build authentic relationships, core values to RFRS
- Strong writing & communications skills
Familiarity CRMs a plus
This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position with excellent benefits. Pay is $60,000-70,000, depending on experience. It is really important for us to find someone who will own the role and nurture the organization’s growth; thus if you have less than full-time to offer but think you can still be a great candidate, please apply as we are open to finding a way that works for the candidate. RFRS does not have an office. All team members work remotely with weekly in-person team meetings in San Francisco and must be able to attend evening and weekend events throughout the Bay Area on a regular basis.
Desired start date is April 2017. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Please send a cover letter, including how your experience can help RFRS achieve their goals, resume, two references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “RFRS - Deputy Project Director” as subject of your email. To read more about RFRS please visit www.realfoodrealstories.org.
RFRS is a project of Earth Island Institute and this position will be an employee of EII.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.