Join Our Team
We are hiring! RFRS Communications Director
Apply to help RFRS with content creation and communications strategy to increase the organization’s audience & online engagement with eaters and food professionals. Through authentic storytelling, that humanizes the food system, you will help to inspire positive cultural and social change.
About Real Food Real Stories:
Real Food Real Stories (RFRS), a project of Earth Island Institute, is a startup non-profit in its third year. We seek to transform regional food systems by shifting culture between eaters and the food industry towards trust, relationship and collaboration through powerful storytelling, transformative experiences and community building. We address the entire food chain, coaching and making available stories that inspire action. Our work is values-driven and relationship-centric, ranging from:
- 1:1 storytelling coaching,
- public and private live-storytelling gatherings,
- digital storytelling,
- storytelling workshops, and
ongoing support for our storytellers,
About the Position:
RFRS is looking for a dynamic & thoughtful collaborator who is passionate about amplifying food changemaker voices and igniting cultural change in the food system. The Communications Director (CD) will oversee: organization communication strategy, content creation & distribution and creative storytelling initiatives. The CD will work closely with the Founder/Project Director and Deputy Program Director and help lead the organization to a new phase of growth.
The ideal candidate is deeply aligned with RFRS’ mission, steadfast, and can leverage past experience to help build a viable organization in a fast-changing environment. They enjoy juggling very different projects, and many other areas needed by a growing new organization, and at times rolling up their sleeves to get the work done. This is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial professional looking to apply skills in a highly collaborative, mission-driven environment to create meaningful culture shift for the food system and organizational legacy.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Develop and implement an annual communication strategy to build sustainable follower and attendee growth and to serve the RFRS mission.
- Establish RFRS as a voice in the Bay Area and national sustainable food community
- Establish RFRS as a platform for featured storytellers and changemakers
- Upkeep RFRS brand positioning
- Develop evaluation to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of communications programs.
- Publication based content creation & distribution
- Podcast management & distribution
- Social media & communications strategy & management
- Long form content creation and distribution (ie. blog)
- Manage and mentor interns and volunteers that you work with
- Collaborate and build relationship with RFRS teammates and the greater community
- Full participation in RFRS storytelling gatherings.
- Experience in a relevant field and committed to a healthy, connected and just food system
- Experience in content development and distribution
- Experience in podcast creation or management and understanding of the distribution process
- Passionate in amplifying food changemakers’ voices and food system change
- Experience in devising social media and communication strategies and execution
- Familiar with marketing concepts
- Effective at leading collaborative, decision-making processes
- Empowering leadership to keep staff and volunteers on track
- Ability to be vulnerable & build authentic relationships, core values to RFRS
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong writing & communications skills
- Familiarity CRMs
This is a part-time, salaried position with excellent benefits. Pay is $26,000-$35,000, depending on experience. It’s really important for us to find someone who will own the role and nurture the organization’s growth. RFRS does not have an office, all team members work remotely with weekly in-person team meetings in San Francisco and must be able to attend evening and weekend events throughout the Bay Area on a regular basis.
Desired start date is January 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please send a cover letter, including how your experience can help RFRS achieve their goals, resume, two references, to email@example.com. Please include “RFRS - Communications Director” as the subject of your email.
RFRS is a project of Earth Island Institute and this position will be an employee of EII.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.